8.24.2011

Art & Design: Giambattista/van Aelst






Dutch still life painting popped into my head as soon as I saw Giambattista Valli's F/W '11 collection. I've always been kind of fascinated by the intricacies in still life painting during the Dutch Golden Age (around the 1600s). How do they capture all that detail!? It's pretty mind blowing. I took a trip to Amsterdam in college & spent a whole afternoon in the Rijks Museum pouring over them. I think my friends got a bit bored, but it was worth it. Willem van Aelst has always been one of my favorites & Giambattista seemed to nail the mood of his work. The bold reds, rosy pink, ruffles & of course in the amazing floral prints. See Giambattista's full collection here & check out more Dutch still life florals here. Am I the only one? Do you guys see it too?

No comments:

Post a Comment